Friday, September 7, 2012

CBC Podcast for It's Not All Black and White

On Wednesday morning, CBC Metro Morning's Matt Galloway interviewed Karen Arthurton and Lalo Lorza about their new book It's Not All Black and White: Multiracial Youth Speak Out. The book grew out of Karen's work with a group of mixed-race youth (including Lalo) at St. Stephen's Community House. Together, the group explored the experience of having more than one racial background, and then expressed themselves in artwork, poems, plays, essays, and interviews. Three of the contributors also starred in the CBC TV documentary Making Sense of One, produced by Mo-D Productions.

In the interview, Karen Arthurton sums up the importance of the book for youth:
As a teenager, I knew that I felt I didn't belong. ... When I was growing up, if I had had this book and was able to open it up and say, "Wow, there are other people who feel as I have felt," I think that it may have helped, that it may have made me feel like this isn't an individual experience and that other people are going through it.

Click here for a description of the podcast, and here to listen to the audio! You can also find reviews of the book here. And if you'd like to jump in and start reading, check out this preview of the first chapter. No matter what your background, we think you'll find something that speaks to you, or gives you a new perspective.

No comments:

ShareThis